Thursday, February 10, 2011

Smokin Aces.

I had my first University test today at Arizona State. Definitely a change from the community college but I'm happy to say I Aced it! I thought I would share some helpful tips I use to study and prepare for my tests, projects and academics overall.


  • Don't cram! Cramming is never ever effective, and if you absolutely must due to procrastination, read through the material once, then go over it again a couple hours later. It's proven that you can't retain information effectively when you attempt to learn material for over a few hours.
  • Eat healthy, stimulating foods while studying, I know how easy it is to want to gorge on a basket of fries or pizza while studying cardio for a test, but it's not the best brain food and it'll make you tired and more prone to quitting early! Try eating chicken and rice, fruit, or even a simple PB&J. Mozzarella cheese sticks are also great to throw in your purse, they don't need to stay refrigerated for long periods of time and are filling,
  • In between study breaks I've found it especially helpful to work out. During my nearly three hour break at school I get in a workout with some weights, it feels so great to clear the mind after learning some heavy material, and have a clean slate going into my next class.
  • I find it especially hard to study right before I go to bed, I can never sleep and always feel restless. If you're a night studier, make sure you quit a good hour before you plan on going to sleep. Leave time for some night stretches or a hot bath. You'll feel relaxed and less anxious when you go to sleep.
  • One word: Organization. I truly believe that the key to success is through organization. I've recently switched to bringing my laptop to class because I can neatly organize my notes in a word document and type faster than I write, then separate them into class folders. It lets me keep track of each class and each assignment. Although this strategy can't always work for everyone (for those who start web-surfing instead of listening to the lecture) for the self-disciplined, I recommend you try. 




0 comments: